- 1 19 oz can chick peas, drained
- 1/4 cup tahini (sesame seed paste)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- pepper to taste
- In food processor, puree chick peas, tahini, oil, lemon juice, cumin and garlic until smooth. Add 1/4 cup water and blend again.
- Transfer to a bowl and season with pepper to taste.
Makes 3 cups. Keeps well in the fridge for several days.
- 1 head broccoli
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 6 slices bacon, fried and chopped
- 1/2 cup cheddar or feta cheese, chopped
- Cut broccoli flowerettes into bite size pieces. Place in large bowl.
- Add onion, bacon and cheese to broccoli.
- 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Mix dressing together in small bowl. Stir until smooth.
- Add to salad and mix well.
- Refrigerate until you are ready to eat. Keeps well in fridge for up to two days.
Vegetarian Alternative: Add 1/4 cup sunflower seeds and 1/2 cup raisins and do not use the bacon.
Delicious and a source of iron, calcium, folic acid and fiber.